One of the hallmarks of Manekin has been the firm’s involvement in corporate philanthropy Since its beginning with founders Bernard and Harold Manekin, the firms have maintained a commitment to give back to the communities in which it operates. The company has won the Maryland Business Philanthropy Award for its commitment to improving Marylanders’ quality of life through philanthropic efforts.
Manekin’s charitable activities include:
- Long-term financial pledges to social and cultural organizations in Baltimore City, as well as to many non-profits throughout the region
- Manekin’s Annual Day of Caring during which normal workday operations are halted and employees devote their time to such organizations as Habitat for Humanity affiliates (Chesapeake, Susquehanna, Sandtown), Salvation Army retreat camps, Gilmore Elementary School and the St. Ambrose Housing Coalition
- The Karen Dean Charity Fund (a 501(c)(3) organization) and Annual Holiday Event, where subcontractors and vendors join in this spirit of giving and celebrate the holidays with Manekin. This event’s history of giving has now reached in excess $1,000,000
- Annual donations to the Relay for Life and annual gifts in memories of Manekin employees and family members
- In both philosophical and practical terms, the firm encourages employees’ participation in non-profit boards